- Must be a current M.Eng., M.S., or Ph.D. UMD student
- Must be a full time student for the semester as per the Graduate School's requirement listed here: https://academiccatalog.
umd.edu/graduate/policies/. policies-graduate- assistantships/
- Must be in good academic standing (i.e. have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher)
- Must NOT be enrolled in the course you are applying to support in that semester
- Must NOT need to take the course you are applying to support in the future towards your own degree requirements
- Must be able to work up to 20 hours per week (i.e. can not hold another position unless the total hours equate to less than 20)
- Additional Requirement for Fall 2023: Please see main page for semester-specific requirement
- Must have already successfully met the UMD English-Speaking Requirement in one of the following ways:
- Must have completed entire education in the U.S., United Kingdom, Ireland, English-speaking Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Anglophone Africa, or the Commonwealth Caribbean. Having completed a only bachelor's degree in the U.S. does not meet the University requirements for exemption. "Entire" education refers to elementary, secondary, and tertiary.
- Must have achieved a score of 26 or higher on the speaking sub-section of the TOEFL
- Must have achieved a score of 8.0 or higher on the speaking sub-section of the IELTS
- Must have achieved a score of 80 or higher on the speaking sub-section of the PTE
- Must have passed the UMD ITA Evaluation in a previous semester and submit the ITA Evaluation Outcome letter stating your TA eligibility with your application.
- IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you would like to try to meet this requirement in order to become eligible to apply for future TA positions, you can do so in the following ways:
- Retake the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE exam and reach the required speaking score
- Obtain a Teaching Assistantship in a different department that sponsors students to take the University ITA exam. MAGE does not sponsor students to take this exam, due to the timing and structure of our hiring process, and students are not able to self enroll in the exam.
About the Position:
- Perform a wide variety of course support duties like:
- Holding Office Hours and/or Review Sessions
- Responding to Canvas Discussions and/or Student Emails
- Managing the Canvas page
- Grading Materials
- Other Course Support Duties as Assigned
Please see further information on job duties here.
- The salary Step level will be determined based on the TAs academic status at the point of the contract creation.
- In general, the minimum salary for TAing for one ENPM course would be $11,000.
- 20 Hours Per Week, On Average
Please see further information on TA salaries here.
- Up to 10 credits of tuition remission at the in-state tuition level.
- Please note that fees and differential tuition are not covered by the remission and will remain the responsibility of the student.
- Please see further information on remission here.
- More information on the Maryland State Employee Health Insurance Plan for Teaching Assistants here.